May is Bike Month. It’s a good time to think about the sustainable future we want—for ourselves and our children—and the role that bikes play. But how can you show this future vision to children? Bicycles, Airships, and Things that Go! is the book to help, by providing a fun, relatable story that takes place in a landscape of sustainability. All kinds of bikes feature in the story, but so do renewable energy, eco-districts, urban farms, and green transport, yet “the focus of the story is the family’s trip, and having fun, not the technology itself” (Fast Company’s Co.Exist).
The book tells the story of the family’s trip to the science museum. Bumbling spies are trying to get an important package the family is carrying.
Parents tell us they like that the story works well across ages. With pre-schoolers they mainly talk about the pictures, but with older children they read the text more fully. All ages love searching for the solar hornet hiding on every page.
To order from a bookstore, here are the details:
Bicycles, Airships and Things that Go! by Bernie McAllister, illustrations by John Aardema, ISBN 978-0-9916255-0-5, $12.99
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
– “Think Richard Scarry, but with more bikes, high-speed rail, and wind turbines…the focus of the story is the family’s trip, and having fun, not the technology itself.” -Fast Company’s Co.Exist
– Spins “a new tale for the age of environmentalism and climate change.” -Next City
– “Adorable” decarbonization – California Magazine
- “I got this for my son’s fourth birthday and it’s a hit! This is a great starter to sustainability lingo for kids!”
- “The girls loved the illustrations and the discovery on every page—and our 4-year old learned the term ‘wind turbine’!”
- “My daughter really liked the book and wanted to read it every night for several nights in a row. It’s been a really fun way to talk to her about what I do in energy and climate.”
- “On most pages there was a ‘Who-oa! as in ‘How cool!’ and of course they never batted an eye at any of the technologies.”
- “I absolutely love it!” – E. Cosgrave, co-founder of Sciencegrrls
- “The book “Bicycles, Airships and Things that Go!’ was great, the year 3 students were very receptive to it” –Engineering Education & Engagement, University College London
- The American Planning Association recommends the book in their outreach ‘Ambassador Toolkit’
To order from a bookstore, here are the details: Bicycles, Airships and Things that Go! by Bernie McAllister, illustrations by John Aardema, ISBN 978-0-9916255-0-5, $12.99
ABOUT OUR PRICING
We aim to bring our stories for resilience, inspired by design and technology, to the mainstream. But for now, our pricing reflects that we’re still only a micro publisher. We appreciate your support for this unique book.